Maurice Earley's photograph of Paddington's sweeping arches and roofs, almost a hundred years after its opening. The picture shows locomotive No 5018 'St Mawes Castle'. Paddington was built to the design of Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859) and Matthew Digby Wyatt as the terminus of Brunel's Great Western Railway (GWR). The station was completed in 1853, although a temporary station had been in use in the area from 1838 when the first section of the GWR opened.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved