Lithographic print by A Mee. Building of this bridge over the River Thames began in 1829 from designs by William Tierney Clark (1783-1852). Completed in 1832, it was designed to replace a wooden bridge further downstream which had become inadequate for the increasing amount of traffic using the Reading to Hatfield Turnpike road. Wiliam Tierney Clark designed a number of suspension bridges, the largest and best known being the one built acros the Danube at Budapest in 1849. Having been carefully reconstructed in 1965, this bridge was still in place at the begininning of the 21st century.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library