Ground plan of Plymouth Dockyard, c 1802.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Plan from a collection of documents dated c 1797-1847 relating to the work of Simon Goodrich, mechanist to the Navy Board. The Royal Naval Dockyard at Plymouth, Devon, was completed in the 1690s. Renamed Devonport Dockyard with Royal authority after a visit by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1843, it is today the largest naval base in Western Europe.