Chromolithograph by the Leighton Brothers showing the International Exhibition building in Cromwell Road, London. This building was designed by Captain Fowke and built by Lucas and Kelk on 23 acres of land purchased in South Kensington from the profits of the Great Exhibition of 1851. It was 1152 feet long with two crystal domes, each of which measured 260 feet high, and cost £300,000 to construct. This building later became the site of the South Kensington Museum, the collections of which were separated to form the Science Museum in Exhibition Road and the Victoria and Albert Museum, which stayed in the Cromwell Road building. Published in a supplement to the 'Illustrated London News' on 24 May 1862.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library