Low speed wind tunnel model of the Avro Vulcan, 1950s.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This mahogany model has the bomb bay open and was used to ases the aerodynamic characteristics and stability of the Vulcan in this configuration. Built and used at the Royal Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough, UK. Built by A V Roe of Manchester between 1955 and 1964, the Vulcan, then known as the Avro 698, first flew on 30th August 1952. The plane, which only saw service with the Royal Air Force, was an important part of Britain's nuclear deterrent from the 1950s onward. It was phased out during 1984.