Avro Vulcan, experimental model, c 1950s.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Silvered radar echo measurement model of the Vulcan aircraft built and used at the Royal Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough, UK. The model is chrome painted with a black stripe on the nose section. Built by A V Roe of Manchester between 1955 and 1964, the Vulcan, then known as the Avro 698, first flew on 30 August 1952. The plane, which only saw service with the Royal Air Force, was an important part of Britain's nuclear deterrent from the 1950s onward. It was phased out during 1984.