The Educational Collection at the South Kensington Museum, London, 1857.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving taken from the 'Illustrated London News'. The South Kensington Museum was originally housed in a small building refered to as 'the Iron Museum' or 'the Brompton Boilers', provided by the Commisioners of the Great Exhibition of 1851 and the Department of Science and Art. In 1857, the year of its opening, the Museum contained 9 collections, one of which was the education collection. Visible here are globes and George Bidell Airy (1801-1892), the Astronomer Royal's model of the Greenwich transit circle, a telescope designed to revolve around a fixed axis.