Four-way sand glas, Italian, 17th century.

White, Ron

 
Four-way sand glas, Italian, 17th century.
4 0 c m
 
34cm
actual image size: 26cm x 32cm

Description

This four-way sand glas in a bras stand was hung on a wall so that the glases could be inverted as required. They measure intervals of quarter, half, three-quarters and one hour, and are of a type formerly used by preachers for timing their sermons. The earliest known illustration of a sand glas is a large fresco of 1337-9 depicting 'Good Government' by Ambrogio Lorenzetti (c 1280-1348) in the 'Palazzo Publico' in Siena, Italy.

Image Details

Artist
 
Image Ref.
 
10311383

© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library

buy a print

Select size
 
Select finish
 
How many prints?
 
£20.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas