The 'Flying Scotsman' was a Pacific class A1 4- 6-2 locomotive, number 4472, built for the London and North Eastern Railway in 1926-1928. It was used on the Flying Scotsman service - a non-stop journey of 392.7 miles, from London King's Cross to Edinburgh. The locomotive is shown ready to depart from King's Cross Station on its inaugural journey on 1 May 1928. The photograph is by E R Wethersett.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved