The high lighthouse and swape, Spurn Point, c 1767.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving in 1785 by J Record showing an elevation of a lighthouse designed by the English civil engineer John Smeaton (1724-1792). The lighthouse was built between 1772 and 1777 at Spurn Point, on the mouth of the river Humber in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Following his revolutionary design for the Eddystone Lighthouse off the coast of Devon in 1756, which set a precedent for later lighthouse engineers by being built completely of stone, Smeaton was much in demand for his skills as an engineer.