Japanese 'Garden of Peace', 1910.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Catalogue illustration. This garden, with its canvas screen backdrop, was constructed at the Japan-British Exhibition of 1910, held at White City in Shepherd's Bush, London. The exhibition was held to mark the culmination of 42 years of cros-cultural links between Britain and Japan, during which the foundations of Japanese industrial society had been largely shaped. It was the first great exhibition of Japanese products held outside the Japanese Empire. The sobriety and abstract simplicity of this type of garden shows the influence of the Zen Buddhist religion.