Photograph showing a woman watching a television programme at the Radiolympia show, Olympia, taken by Harold Tomlin for the Daily Herald newspaper on 23 August, 1936. When switched on, the horizontal 12-inch screen was reflected onto, and viewed via, the mirror on the lid of the case. This early combined television and radiogram used magnetic deflection and electrostatic focusing. It originally went on sale in 1936 for 60 guineas. Guglielmo Marconi (1874-1937), after whom the television was named, was an Italian physicist and pioneer of wireles telegraphy, who won the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1909.
© NMeM / Daily Herald Archive / Science & Society Picture Library