Workers during the construction of St Pancras Station, London, 1867.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Railway navvies at work in a section of the Metropolitan line shored up with baulks of timber, during the construction of the Midland Railway's St Pancras Station in London, 29th August 1867. The station was built as the terminus for the railway's line to London. It was designed by Gilbert Scott and built by the Midland Railway's consulting engineer, William Barlow, with the asistance of R M Ordish, opening on 1 October 1868.