Model (scale 1:8) of a four-wheeled wagon that can be tipped backwards to empty its contents. The hind axle is deeply cranked forward so as to clear the body of the wagon when the body is tilted. The wagon body is pivoted a little behind the centre of gravity, and when in the horizontal position it is locked by a lever in the front. The model shown was built as part of the application for a patent made by its inventor, Mr R Stratton, in 1841. The wagon bears the words 'Stratton' and 'Bristol'. It is believed that the company concerned was Stratton & Hughes, coachbuilders, of the Temple Gate area of Bristol.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library