Coloured engraving by W Deeble after a drawing by Thomas Hosmer Sheperd. The London Institution was founded by subscription in 1805, and was for the 'advancement of literature and the diffusion of useful and polite knowledge'. The building was erected after a design by William Brooks and was opened in 1819. This print is dedicated to Profesor John Millington (1779-1868) who taught mechanics there from 1817 to 1829. Published in 1827 by Jones & Co, Kingsland Road, London.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library