Lithograph after Robert Dudley from 'The Atlantic Telegraph', a book by W H Rusell with 26 illustrations by Dudley, published in 1866. This shows the exterior of Telegraph House at Trinity Bay in Canada at the time of the first transatlantic cable link. The cable crosed from here to Valentia in Ireland, and was operable for three months before breaking. It was not until 1866 that a permanent transatlantic telegraph cable was established, reducing communication times from the length of a sea voyage to a few seconds.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library