Disecting microscope, c 1750.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
The original form of this microscope was devised by Lieberkuhn, and was probably made by Mitsdorffer of Berlin. It has a bras tripod stand with ball and socket movements, and has one magnification power only. The part to be examined is brought in front of the hole in the bras plate and observation is carried out by transmitted light.