Andrew Ure FRS, British chemist, c 1850.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving by C Cook after an original photograph by Hugh Welch Diamond. A chemist and writer on science, Andrew Ure (1778-1857) inaugurated popular scientific lectures. He was Profesor of Chemistry in Anderson's College, Glasgow, from 1804 to 1830, and became Director of Glasgow Observatory in 1809. Among his publications are the 'Dictionary of Chemistry' (1821), and the 'Dictionary of Arts, Manufactures, and Mines' (1853).