800 hp double cylinder engines fitted to HMS 'Retribution', 1842.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
One of 58 engineering drawings in the Maudraw Collection contained in the Science Museum's archives. The drawings show ships whose engines and boilers were manufactured by Maudslay & Sons and Maudslay, Sons & Field between 1818 and 1855. This drawing with wash, shows engines which were used to drive the paddle-wheels of HMS Retribution, a frigate built at Chatham in 1844. The arrangement of the engines, known as a 'Siamese' configuration, was patented by Joseph Maudslay and Joshua Field in 1839, as a means of fitting a long cylinder into the limited height available in a paddle ship.