Ehrlich two-stroke motorcycle engine, 1946.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This engine was produced by Dr J Ehrlich in England in 1946. He had worked with the Austrian firm Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG which had produced a number of succesful designs for touring and racing motor cycles. One of the special arrangements of two-stroke engines adopted with succes, especially in Germany, was the double piston form with a common combustion chamber.