Jaguar 2.5 litre motor car, 1938.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Model (scale 1:10). William Lyons established the Swallow Coachbuilding Company in the late 1920s, building cars which were effectively rebodied Austin Sevens. In 1931 the company produced its first original car, the sI, and the Jaguar name was introduced for the first time in 1936. This 2 1/2 litre car has a sliding roof, and an all-panel closed body fixed to an ash frame. The tyres are 5.50.16 Dunlops and are fitted with 18 inch diameter wheels. The car had a top speed of 85 mph, and was produced in a two-door drophead coupe form as well as the four-door saloon version pictured here.