Internal cardiac pacemaker, 1961-1962.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
The first implantable pacemaker made at St George's Hospital. In 1952, an American, Paul Zoll, had been the first to resuscitate a human heart using an electrical stimulus. A team at St George's Hospital were treating patients with Stokes-Adams disease (heart block). Due to problems of infection during experiments using external pacemakers, Geoffrey Davies, a senior cardiac technician, designed an internal pacemaker. This became the main device in use at St George's for conditions where the control of the heart's rhythm was affected.