'Clarence' ambulance, c 1897.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This horse-drawn ambulance was widely used in Scotland until the beginning of the 20th century. It was based on the 'Clarence' carriage, a light coach designed along the lines of the Brougham in 1840 and named after the Duke of Clarence. It could accommodate two or three patients and an attendant nurse, and was lined inside with polished butternut wood so that it could be easily washed with disinfectant. The wheels are fitted with pneumatic tyres, although for use as an ordinary carriage they would have had metal or solid rubber tyres. The model was made by a Mr James Reid, coach-body maker of Aberdeen, and illustrates his design of Clarence Ambulance.