Sectioned oil axle box for railway carriage
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Sectioned oil axle box for railway carriages patented by Mr D Dietz in 1860. The lower front portion of this axle box forms an oil reservoir, which is closed at the back by a partition and a half-collar which is forced upwards against the journal by a spring. Any oil leaking past this partition collects on a saucer-shaped disc secured to the axle, and the edge of this disc is continuously wiped by a hinged finger which then returns the oil on to the top of the bearing. The inner end of the box is closed by a millboard disc, to exclude dust.