The original Brougham carriage, 1838.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
In 1838, Henry Brougham (1778-1868), Lord Chancellor of England, had this closed one-horse carriage made under his personal direction by Robinson and Cook of Mount Street, London. It was much smaller and more convenient for town use than other carriages available at the time. The body of the Brougham was used to link the forecarriage to the rear axle, enabling the body to be mounted lower down between the axles. This made it posible to build a low, light, manoeuvrable, closed carriage, drawn by a single horse. The Brougham, together with the later Clarence, were the most popular types of closed carriage built, influencing the design of other closed and open carriage styles during the rest of the century.