Naples as seen from near the bridge of Maddalena, Kingdom of Naples, c 1767.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Hand-coloured etching by Peter Fabris (active 1768-1779) and taken from William Hamilton's (1730-1803) study of Italian volcanoes, 'Campi Phlegraei', published in Naples in 1776. The image shows the Castle of Saint Elmo (1), the Mole and lighthouse (2), Pizzofalcone (3), Point of Pausilipo (now known as Posillipo) (4), the mountain on which the Convent of the Camaldoli is situated (5) and the Castle of Dell'Ovo (6). 'Campi Phlegraei' was a more precise study of volcanoes than had previously existed.