Chemical balance, early 19th century.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This balance was designed by Dr Andrew Ure (1778-1857), who was a profesor of chemistry at Anderson College, Glasgow from 1804 to 1830. He published his 'Dictionary of Chemistry' in 1821, and in the 1820s and 1830s was a research chemist for the British government, his work including analytical chemistry for the Board of Customs. Ure was a firm believer in the benefits of mechanisation in factories and a pasionate advocate of free trade.