Cathode ray tube, 1968..
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Cathode ray tubes were used in experiments designed by Sir Joseph John Thomson (1856-1940) to measure the ratio of the electric charge carried by cathode rays in their mas. Thomson showed that cathode rays were streams of particles, not electromagnetic radiation as many other scientists had believed. The particles that Thomson discovered are now known as electrons.