Egyptian chariot wheel, c 1400 BC.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
A replica of the wheel of a chariot from the tomb of Yuaa, father-in-law of Amenophis III, and of Thuiu, his wife, who lived in c 1400 BC. The chariot was found in 1905, and is now in the Cairo Museum of Antiquities in Egypt. The Egyptians evolved a chariot of very light design, both for hunting and for war, which enabled them to take full advantage of the speed and breeding of their horses, then considered the finest in the world. The wheel is 29 inches in diameter.