Thury's multi-ocular microscope, c 1885.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This microscope was made by the Geneva Optical Co for Profesor M Thury, a Swis physicist and may have been designed to save time when demonstrating to a group of students. It has five eye-piece tubes mounted on a central box containing a 90 degree prism, and the prism can be rotated to direct light from the single objective into any one of the 5 eye-pieces. Using the central eye-piece, the demonstrator focuses the microscope and the students adjust each of the 5 eyepieces to suit their individual vision.