Sir George Taylor (1904-1993) was born and educated in Edinburgh before in 1928 joining the Botany Department at the British Museum. Taylor was later appointed Keeper of the collection. He participated in several important botanical collecting expeditions to various parts of Africa, Nepal and Bhutan. In 1956 he was appointed Director of the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew and oversaw the post-war restorations of the gardens. Retiring in 1971, he chaired the management committee of the Chelsea Physic Garden. In 1984 he was awarded the Scottish Horticultural Medal by the Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library