William Dent Priestman (1847-1936) was a strict Quaker and who worked with his father, and later his brother, in their busines at Holdernes Foundry in Hull. The brothers manufactured dredging equipment, cranes and winches, but by the 1870s William Priestman took an interest in internal combustion engines. He tried using lamp oil as engine fuel. The Priestman engine had an air pump which presurized the fuel tank and outlets leading to a fuel atomizer which continuously injected into a vaporizing chamber heated by exhaust gases.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library