Engraving of Sir Alfred Fernandez Yarrow (1842-1932) who started his working life as an indentured apprentice to the engine-builder Ravenhill. Between 1866 and 1875 the ship-builder and philanthropist formed a shipyard on the Isle of Dogs with a Mr Hedley. From this Yarrow built up his own company which was soon producing its first ship for the Royal Navy. The shipyard moved to Glasgow due to the closure of many of the Thames shipyards, and the first Clyde-built destroyer was launched in 1908. Expansion followed with more building berths added and boiler construction developed. Towards the end of Yarrow's life he worked for charities including those for ex-servicemen.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library