Surgeons' hands, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, 1991.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
One of a series of paintings by Keith Holmes. A replacement valve is ready for positioning in the patient's heart. Two of the three hands are those of Dr Stephen Westaby, the third belongs to a colleague. The first human implant of an artificial heart valve was performed in 1952.