The Britannia Tubular Bridge over the Menai Straits, Wales, 1850s.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Colour print reproduction by Hutton Hartley Ltd, Manchester. It is one of a series of twelve reproduction prints of 'Historic Railway Bridges and Viaducts' published by Railway Reproductions, 4 East Street, Helmshore, Rosendale, Lancashire. The original print was engraved by A Ashley for the British Gazetteer after an original drawing by J F Burrell and published by H G Collins, 22 Paternoster Row, London. The Britannia Tubular Bridge was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) and was completed in 1850. It was constructed to provide trains of the Chester and Holyhead Railway with a pasageway acros the Menai Straits from mainland Wales to Anglesey. The railway terminated at Holyhead, which became a major port for travellers to Ireland.