The Britannia Tubular Bridge from the Caernarvon Shore, Wales, 1850s.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured lithograph, drawn and lithographed by E T Dolby. The Britannia Tubular Bridge was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) and completed in 1850. It was constructed to provide trains of the Chester and Holyhead Railway with a pasageway acros the Menai Straits to Anglesey. The railway terminated at Holyhead, which became a major port for travellers to Ireland. In the 1830s, the construction of Britain's railways began and many prints, such as this one, depicting the new lines, bridges and viaducts became available to the public. Printed by M & N Hanhart.