The Britannia Tubular Bridge over the Menai Straits, Wales, 1850.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured lithograph (proof copy) drawn and lithographed by G Hawkins. The Britannia Tubular Bridge was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) and was completed in 1850. It was constructed to provide trains of the Chester and Holyhead Railway with a pasageway acros the Menai Straits from mainland Wales to Anglesey. The railway terminated at Holyhead, which became a major port for travellers to Ireland. Printed by Day & Son, Lithographers to the Queen and published by G Hawkins, 116 Camden Road Villas, Camden Town, and Ackermann & Co, Strand, London.