'Mansion Polish - Makes Floors Shine like Mirrors', poster, c 1950.
© Michael Martin / Science & Society Picture Library
Advertisement showing a family of mice admiring their reflections in a newly polished floor. This was shown in cinemas throughout the 1950s in the interval between films. It was produced by Harry Rountree, a distinguished commercial artist whose forte was in caricature illustrations featuring birds and mice. Mansion floor polish was introduced in 1912 at the Cherry Blosom Chertsey Road (Duke's Meadows) factory which was enlarged in 1930 after the amalgamation of the Chiswick Polish and Nugget Companies (later absorbed into Reckitt & Coleman and then Reckitt Benckiser plc). The boot and floor polishes and creams manufactured at Chiswick were all mixtures of suitable waxes using turpentine and spirit as solvents.