Scale drawing of an engine built by James Watt (1736-1819) and Matthew Boulton (1728-1809), designed to be more self-contained and compact than the established beam engine. Watt was a Scottish engineer and inventor at the forefront of the development of steam engines. Boulton was Watt's busines partner. In 1775 they established a partnership designing and making components for steam engines at Soho, near Birmingham. This design was used on the paddle steamer 'Clermont' in 1805 and also in Boulton and Watt's Soho works until 1896.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library