Brighton Station, 1841.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured lithograph of an engraving by G Earp Junior. Brighton Railway Station, designed by David Mocatta (1806-1882), was constructed between October 1840 and September 1841, and formed the London & Brighton Railway's Brighton terminus. The engineer John Rennie (1761-1821) decided the station should be built high on the western slope of the valley through which the road from London entered the town.