Colour lithograph of an engraving drawn by Frederick William Woledge and engraved by J Newman. Brighton Railway Station, designed by David Mocatta (1806-1882), was constructed between October 1840 and September 1841, and formed the London & Brighton Railway's Brighton terminus. The engineer John Rennie (1761-1821) decided that the station should be built high on the western slope of the valley, through which the road from London entered the town. Published by C Andrews, 11 St James Street.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library