Rochdale Station, Lancashire, 1845.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured lithograph, drawn and lithographed by Arthur Fitzwilliam Tait (1819-1905), printed by Day & Haghe, lithographers to the Queen. The lithograph shows a view of Rochdale Station, on the Manchester & Leeds Railway. In 1837 Parliament granted permision for a railway to be built between Manchester and Leeds, with George Stephenson (1781-1848) designated chief engineer. Rochdale station was built in 1839, but was later replaced in 1889 by a new station 50 yards away.