Allerwash, Northumberland, 1838.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured engraving by J W Archer after a drawing by James Wilson Carmichael (1800-1868), showing a view of the Northumbrian countryside along the Newcastle & Carlisle Railway. Formed on 22 May 1829, the Newcastle & Carlisle Railway was built to link Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Tyne & Wear with Carlisle, Cumbria. The survey for this 61 mile line was conducted by railway pioneer George Stephenson (1781-1848). Published by Currie and Bowman, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.