Nine Elms Station, London, 1838-1848.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured lithograph. Nine Elms Station in Vauxhall, London, was designed by William Tite and opened in 1838 as the London terminus of the London & Southampton Railway, later named the London & South Western Railway. In 1848 a new and more central terminus was built at Waterloo causing this station to close. In 1941 the building was damaged by German bombs and was finally demolished in the 1960s. The land is now used for the New Covent Garden Market.