Wye Station, Kent, c 1850s.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Watercolour showing a view of Wye Station, on the South Eastern Railway (SER). Pasengers are seen on the station's platform, awaiting a train. The South Eastern Railway Bill came to Parliament in 1836, permitting the building of a line from Folkestone to Dover, and, by the 1850s, the SER's network of railway lines had covered most of the county of Kent. In 1845 the South Eastern Railway set up a cros-channel service, and in 1899 the company joined with the London Chatham & Dover Railway, to form the South Eastern & Chatham Railway.