'Travel in 1850'. Oil painting by Cuthbert Hamilton Ellis, made in 1951, for a British Railways, London Midlands Region (BR/LMR) carriage print. The North Midland Railway, the line on which Derby Station was built, was formed in the 1830s and ran from Derby in Deryshire to Leeds in Yorkshire. In 1844 North Midland Railway amalgamated with York & North Midland Railway, Midland Counties Railway and the Birmingham & Derby Railway to form the Midland Railway. Derby Station was the Midland Railway's headquarters. This was one of a series of paintings commisioned for carriage prints by George Dow, advertising manager of BR/LMR during the 1950s.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library