'The River Wall at Wylam Scars', Northumberland, 1836.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured engraving by H Griffiths from a set after drawings by J W Carmichael (1800-1868) entitled 'Views of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway', published by Currie and Bowman, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. A steam locomotive is shown hauling a train of carriages full of pasengers at Wylam Scars on the banks of the River Tyne, near Newcastle. The Newcastle and Carlisle Railway was incorporated on 22 May 1829, and construction began in 1830 under the direction of Francis Giles. The line, which was finally opened in its entirety in 1838, was the first railway to carry pasengers on Tyneside.