International Harvester Farmall tractor, 1942.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
McCormick-Deering 'Farmall A' four-wheeled rowcrop agricultural tractor on pneumatic tyres, manufactured by the International Harvester Corporation (IHC), Chicago, Illinois. In 1939, IHC replaced its Farmall line with new designs designated by a letter. The Model 'A' was the smallest of the high clearance rowcrop tractors. Unlike all the others, its engine and tranmision were offset to the lefthand side to give the operator a clear view of the tool bars that rowcrop tractors so often carried between front and rear wheels. As the Model 'A' was in direct competition with the Allis Chalmers model 'B' it was perhaps felt that the better visibility might give the IHC product the edge in the market garden/small farm sales market at which both were aimed.