The Royal Dairy, near Windsor, Berkshire.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
The Royal Dairy on the Home Farm at Frogmore near Windsor Castle was built in 1858 under the direction of Albert, Prince Consort (1819-1861). Its elaborate interior was the height of design fashion at the time. The Creamery, shown here, has a painted ceiling supported by six pillars. Between them and along the walls on all sides are broad slabs of marble carrying the separating basins. These, and the double-walled construction served to keep the area cool at all times.