Side elevation drawing taken from the book 'Locomotives of the GWR 1857'. Beneath the image, the names of 12 locomotives of this clas built for the Great Western Railway (GWR) are listed, as well as a description of the engines' main features. The GWR was built from 1835 to provide a route from Bristol to London, using broad gauge track developed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859). The line opened fully in 1841. The railway was converted to standard gauge track in 1892. Until 1864 most of the GWR's locomotives were designed by Sir Daniel Gooch (1816-1889), who built a total of 340 engines for the railway at Swindon Works. The Star clas were designed by Robert Stephenson however.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library